Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tennessee Taxation

Via email:

The General Assembly in Nashville has introduced two anti-affiliate bills, SB 1741 in the Senate and HB 1947 in the House. This legislation could force out-of-state merchants to shut down their affiliate programs.
What does that mean? It means taxes on your ads (emphasis mine):
I am a small business owner with a website, and I am in strong opposition to SB 1741, which would require retailers that advertise and receive direct or indirect referrals from advertising on websites, such as mine, to collect sales tax in Tennessee.

I am opposed to this bill because it would substantially harm my small business by reducing a large source of revenue that I depend on to survive. This revenue results from providing advertising on my website on behalf of out-of-state retailers.
Here's a link to the committee considering this:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/senate/committees/finance.html

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/committees/sub-budget.html

.

No comments: