Friday, July 25, 2008

My View on the Latest Gunnie Brouhaha

I have to say, JR echoes my sentiments exactly and points to a real threat to the gun owner community.

First, his thoughts:

I am sure that most of you who read this blog also read others who have already commented on this controversy, on the name calling and on the personal attacks. I think some of the best commentary posted so far is by Kevin with "Frightening the White People" and "The Four Boxes". Both of those are well worth your time, as is David's commentary in "Principle Freaks Need Not Apply"

[snip]

I am not going to jump on the bandwagon for either side of this issue
Sorry, folks, neither am I. Reason being, both sides have valid points and it's just a matter of where the line is drawn. So, up to my line, I'm with Sebastian. Once my line has been crossed, then the shooting starts.

Where is that line? I don't know, but I'll know when it's crossed.

The thing is, arguing about this subject is an exercise in herding cats. I'll go out on a limb here and say every single gun owner has a line. The thing is, every line is different.

Every. Single. One.

So, arguing about it is an exercise in futility, because your line is further from mine, you're a pussy, and I'm not. Conversely, if your line is closer than mine, you're a nut, and I'm rational.

The bottom line is, we're all in this fight together. We'll have these "discussions", but we need to reach a point where we say "Ok, you and I have different lines" and move on from there.

Now, as to JR's look at a real issue we need to address, go there and read!

.

1 comment:

Mulligan said...

agreed, too many variables in any given incident. anyone trying to draw that line on paper with words is most likely hiding some other goal.