Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Thoughts

The Game:

- Tom Brady was off. He and Moss weren't on the same page all night.

- I think it was because they showed Giselle in the stands before the game started. =)

- Welker's a machine. Unbelieveable.

- The Giants' "D" was there to play. Reminded me of the '85 Bears. Both were good, but the Giants were awesome.

- Giants, kiss your Defensive Coordinator goodbye. He'll be coaching the 'Skins next year.

- I like Eli. He's the most atypical NFL quarterback ever. Shucks.

- Jeremy Shockey wasn't missed at all. Neither was Tiki.

- Jeremy, the Titans need a good Tight End. Just sayin'.

- The halftime show wasn't that bad. I like Tom Petty.

The Commercials:

-The commercials sucked. They've sucked for a while. About since the time the media started hyping them as something to watch.

- They lacked originality. Bud Light and breathing fire? That's been done, better, by a fast food chain.

- Cavemen? That's so GEICO. Too bad, because the commercial itself was funny (bottle opener suck, too!)

- Bud's "inspirational" thing is getting old.

- I liked the Coke commercial where the float balloons chased the Coke. Who woulda thought Charlie Brown could take both Stewie and Underdog?

I'd like to point out I got the winner and margin of victory correct. Way off on the score, but who wasn't? Well, Plaxico wasn't too far off....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should be an NFL coach. I've been saying all season that the only way to beat the Pats is to pressure Brady all game, every play.

That's what the Giants defense did. That first TD would have been limited to a field goal if it weren't for a bone-head pass interference in the end zone.

The only time during the whole game that the Giants Defense let up was the drive in the fourth quarter right after they took the lead.

The Giants Defense went into "prevent" mode, rushing only four and playing soft zones to prevent the deep play. As soon as they stopped putting pressure on Brady, he got into rythm, turned into the machine that we've seen all year, popped short pass after short pass and marched into the end zone.

The next time the Pats got the ball back, the Giants D went back to what had been working all day...pressure and blitzes, and they stopped them butt cold.

What amazes me is that no other coach during the whole season figured that out. I've been saying it since the second game I watched Brady sit back in the pocket forever. Pressure him and he falls apart, leave him alone and he rarely misses.

Every other team that had a chance to beat New England this year started out with blitzes and pressure but went to the "prevent style" late in the game and that's where they lost it.

The Giants did that too, but after the single drive and score, they figured it out, went back to what worked and won the game.

Congrats to the Giants Defense for playing an excellent game and keeping Brady back on his heels.

Although low scoring, I think that's one of the best Superbowls we've had in a long time.

Rustmeister said...

One thing I was worried about was the Giants D running out of gas in the 4th quarter.

Guess I watched too many Titans games this season. =)

And, I agree, it was great. The last time the Super Bowl was this interesting was when Jim Kelly was the Pats QB. Those were some good ones.

Anonymous said...

One thing I was worried about was the Giants D running out of gas in the 4th quarter.

My wife was worried about that too. I was more worried that the defensive coordinator would keep calling those stupid "prevent" defenses after they scored in the fourth quarter...luckily, they went back after them and got the job done.

Rustmeister said...

That's something else the Titans did this year that drove me nuts.

If something's working, you stick with it.

If you do try something new and it doesn't work, stop doing it.

Guess you gotta serve in the military before common sense sinks in. =)