Saturday, January 19, 2008

Local PSH

Via Mick Wright comes this editorial from Memphis' (only) paper of record.

More guns in public is bad law


It seems as though we're on the verge of becoming a society where a firearm turns into a routine daily wardrobe accessory -- kind of like a cell phone.

Sounds a bit daft, doesn't it?
No, what's daft is you thinking this. If it's not for you, no problem, don't do it. Don't call me stupid because I choose to be able to take care of myself. For the record, I've forgotten my cell phone more than I have my pistol.

Maybe it's a sign of the times. People are so afraid of crime that they feel they have to be armed 24/7. The self-defense issue certainly underpins the argument to let people go armed. Maybe that's just a fear hyped up by those who have tirelessly pushed for strict interpretation of the Second Amendment, which says the government shall not infringe upon the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.
Now that's daft, especially coming from a Memphian. Do you not watch the news? Just off the top of my head, we've had a dozen murders so far this year, and that's before I watch the nightly news.

One dozen murders, and today's date is... the 19th. Do the math.

We hope Tennessee's House members are more circumspect than their Senate colleagues.
Don't worry, your old buddy Naifeh will make sure it doesn't even get to the floor, like he has in the past.

Having more guns in public, in our minds, doesn't make citizens more secure and it can be a potential hazard if someone with a carry permit overreacts to a situation and fires rounds in a crowded public place.
If, if, if. Ok, I'll play that came. What happens if a nutjob goes into a local Chili's and starts shooting up the place because of some real or imagined grudge? If you have your way, nothing but a bunch of dead innocents.

And do we really need people carrying their 9-mm pistols while wandering around Yellowstone National Park?
Nah, just let people carry bells and pepper spray.

Why is it they never put their names to these articles?.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of more guns, in public, exposed for all the world to see.

My wife and I carry Glocks in Fobus holsters.

People are typically very respectful of us.

Rustmeister said...

I'm sure they are. =)