Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Beer Blogging

Long day at work today, and I felt I deserved an after dinner libation from out of the beer fridge, so I poked around and came out with an old bottle of Stoudt's Fat Dog Stout.

It weighs in at 9% ABV, and it's been in the fridge for 'bout six years now. I was hoping it had aged well, but this particular bottle didn't.  No hiss when I opened it, little to no head, an aggressive bite of chocolate malt up front and a lactic aftertaste all told me I had waited about two years too long on this one. Shame on me, this was a good beer when I first bought it.

Not about to give up, I went to something lighter and fresher, New Belgium's Fat Tire. If you've never had this brew, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Bread in a bottle, balanced by the right amount of hops. If you ever need a beer to turn somebody on to craft brew with, this would be on the short list.

Now, pardon me while I enjoy my beer.

.

No comments: