Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Forget Don't Ask Don't Tell

We haven't even fully integrated women into our armed forces yet.

However, the Navy has taken another step in that direction.

Via Abby, who echoes my sentiments exactly:

I do have to admit that serving on a submarine is one of those things I don't think you could convince me to do with a cattle prod and a suitcase full of unmarked twenties...but to each their own.

I took a tour of the Rhode Island a few years ago. It's one of the largest submarines in existence, and I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

Besides, they come pre-sunk, if you catch my drift....

.

3 comments:

MadRocketScientist said...

Just remember, ships are sunk, subs are lost.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear this, but you are right. And the reason I served in the Army,and not the Navy. There is no way you are going to get me on a ship, that if sinks you are pretty much screwed. Also the uniforms, don't wear bell bottoms and that silly cap. No offense.

Cargosquid said...

As a retired squid, let me tell you, those bell bottoms and silly cap are KILLER WITH THE LADIES!

That said, 180 men go down in submarines and 90 couples come up. Now, with women, that joke could actually be coming true.

Bunking is so tight on a sub, there is no way that you can have separate quarters. Hot racking is common place. That is where the man going on watch, is replaced by the man coming off watch, sharing the same bunk.....

Some non quals (sailors yet to earn their sub qualifications) sleep on mattresses in the torpedo room of some subs....