Saturday, June 20, 2009

Weekend Cigar Blogging

- Sunday - Conuco Robusto - This one is made by Rocky Patel, is offered as a more affordable smoke, and is only available online at Famous. Reviews were all across the spectrum on this one, some were calling is the best cigar for the price anywhere, others saying is was a "dog rocket"*.

I figured at fifteen bucks for five, it was worth a try. I have to say, for the price, those are some pretty good smokes. The wrapper had a sweetness to it that I assume is a naturally occurring thing. Although they are not maduros (habano wrapper), they were somewhat similar. Fairly smooth and not disagreeable at all.

- Speaking of Rocky Patel, the Vintage 1990 "seconds" showed up this week. They're spending a few days in the humidor to get acclimated, but my initial inspection showed them to be a nice cigar, not blemished or faulty. They are box pressed, and are not loose or squishy in any way. I opted for the "torpedo" shape this time around, as robustos are too short, and I sometimes don't have time for a Churchill. I'll probably fire one up Friday night, so this posting should have my review, such as it is.

- Wednesday - CAO Criollo - I bought this one because I read somewhere that a criollo is "corojo light", and I'll have to agree with that assertion. If you're having difficulty getting into a corojo, then this cigar is for you. Of course, I'm a fan of maduros and, to a lesser extent, natural wrappers, so while I can see its appeal, it's not for me. I do have to say, in my brief exposure to the cigar world, CAO has the best-burning cigars I've seen so far.

Update - Didn't get to the Patel yesterday like I thought. I'll do another post once I do.



* that's cigar speak for "poop".

No comments: