Monday, April 6, 2009

Tech Bleg

Update - Thanks to everybody who lent help. He's gotten in touch with the right people.

My buddy Lew over at Seen Through a Glass needs some help:

There's a blog out there called Doc's Tavern that is copying beer blog posts (mine, The Beer Philosopher, and Musings Over A Pint, among others) in entirety and posting them without attribution, credit, or linkage. Can someone more technically adept than me find out who's hosting the site and find an address where I can send a Takedown Notice?
Anyone out there help a guy out?

.

6 comments:

Dan said...

check www.whois.net to find out who owns it and where it is hosted.

Mulligan said...

saw a powered by wordpress note on that site

here's a link to
wordpress content theft

jed said...

For future reference, the whois information is useless for this -- it provides domain registration info. What you want to find out is the name of the company providing hosting.

This is trivially easy if you're running Linux. :)

If you want to use a web-based tool, something like http://www.kloth.net/services/dig.php will do the trick. There are several such services available.

Once you have the IP address, you can then find who owns that.

http://cqcounter.com/whois/ (again, many such lookup services are available)

In rare cases, you'll find that the person or organization you need to complain about is the owner of that IP address block, but this is rare enough that I won't go into it. But, in that case, you need to find out their "upstream" provider is, to complain to them.

Rustmeister said...

Jed!

You gonna start blogging again any time soon? =)

jed said...

Well, I dunno. I believe I've identified a hosting company that actually understands privilege separation in a shared hosting environment, so that's one step on the road back. Didn't think I'd be letting it go so long, but I've also reached a level of disgust with the general state of things, that I don't know whether I can actually write about it anymore, except to simply spew invective.

But, probably, once I'm sure a few expenses are covered, I'll dive in again. I'm just not doing anything quickly these days.

Rustmeister said...

I hear ya. If and when you do, let us know.