Monday, April 13, 2009

Phone/PDA Bleg

So, my Palm TX crashes when I try to go Wi Fi, the battery is lasting less than half of what it used to, and it's needing a soft reset on a regular basis.

My phone still works, but it's three years old and I figure it's only a matter of time before it starts acting up.

So, what device should I look at to replace these devices? I presently use AT&T, but am not against changing providers if the price/service is right.

What I need is a phone with good battery life and reception, and something to take the place of my PDA. Specifically Wi Fi, calender, phone book, etc.

Web service outside of Wi Fi is not necessary, as I mostly use web based email.

What's out there, besides the iPhone?

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like my blackberry curve.

I'd have gotten the iphone but i didn't want AT&T. If the iphone was on verizon, i might get one.

-SayUncle

Bob S. said...

Palm Centro doesn't have WI-FI and it's voice dialing is less then adequate (trying to be very polite at describing how bad it sucks).


One factor to consider is how many Apps and programs you already have. I sync with Outlook, so I already had the 3rd party software to improve the syncing process.

Blue -Tooth is also has clarity issues with the Centro.

I'll either move up to the top of the line or away from Palm completely with my next upgrade.

Rustmeister said...

That's one thing - I'm not really interested in another Palm device either.

And, I don't see spending 200-300 bucks on a phone just for Wi Fi.

I may get into the whole 3G thing in the future, but I don't have the need right now.

Paul said...

A Blackberry Curve can be had on eBay for about $150 in "Like New" condition.

I got one, and my wife liked it so much that she made me get her one as well. Now we have two $35 data plans. Oy.

But it's REALLY a slick, no-nonsense device. If you've got gmail, the gmail app from google makes it a no-brainer.

Rustmeister said...

Looks like the Curve is pulling away from the pack....

Tom Guleff said...

I love my iPhone (AT&T) (it does a million things), but the monthly charge is really too much. (it also goes WiFi or 3G, depending on your desire). Get someone you know to show you all the features, it is a cool toy.