Monday, March 2, 2009

The Media - Our Great Protectors?

Reading an editorial in the Jackson Sun, I ran across the following (emphasis mine):

Handgun permit records have long been public records, and they should stay that way. Closing them would unfairly inhibit the news media from doing its job in protecting the public.
Huh? Protecting the public? Since when? Listen, mister (or mizz) anonymous editorial writer person, I'll take care of my own protection. Having my name out there as a carry permit holder has a negative impact on that ability.

You see, I have an unusual last name, to the point of it being the only one in that database. Even if it were more common, any nitwit can check for John Smith in Atoka/Dickson/Maryville/etc and narrow it down quite a bit. That database is a danger to law-abiding permit holders.

You'll just have to find other ways to protect the public.

.

1 comment:

Bob S. said...

Shouldn't they have to show that publishing the names actually does anything to protect the public?

I can't see anything that changes from having a name published. The person is the same before and after publishing, his/her actions are consistent before and after.


The only thing that changes, that I can see, is the newspaper gets a spike in sales as everyone reads about the controversy.

Self serving in the guise of public interest.