Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Here's Why Ayers Matters

Aunt B. (and others) wonder what the whole Ayers thing was all about:

When they learn that it’s some dude from the 60s, though, and “some dude from the 60s” is as direct a quote as I can remember, they don’t give a shit.
That, of course, is what Obama is hoping you'll think. He even said so:

“The notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was eight years old, somehow reflects on me and my values, doesn’t make much sense, George.”
Being one of those older people, I do remember the Weathermen. Well, I remember my parents talking about them, I remember the reports on TV.

However, I never had these memories:

Obama was indeed only eight in early 1970. I was only nine then, the year Ayers’s Weathermen tried to murder me.

....

Early on the morning of February 21, as my family slept, three gasoline-filled firebombs exploded at our home on the northern tip of Manhattan, two at the front door and the third tucked neatly under the gas tank of the family car.

Ayers was a murderer who was let off on a technicality. He's been openly unapologetic about his past.

To put in in a perspective everyone can understand, here's this: Obama announced his candidacy for the State legislature from Bill Ayers' house.

What would you think if John McCain had announced his candidacy for the Senate (way back then) from the house of David Duke?

All clear now?

Update: Added a link to the Obama quote.

Update II and a bump : Glen Dean and Bob Krumm have more.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ayers is a red herring! After 8 years of almost total Republican leadership, our country teeters on the brink of a Depression! And you're hung on some radical from the 60's, man! McCain has associated with skinheads, Palin sleeps with a secessionist-who cares! Oh yeah, Biden assocaies with McCain----and LEIBERMAN!!!