Monday, October 20, 2008

Dammit

Being a veteran of Desert Storm, I had a soft spot for him. He was my General, after all (well, next to Schwarzkopf). But I have to say, Colin Powell's done gone and lost his freakin' mind:

I think that Sen. Obama brings a fresh set of of eyes, a fresh set of ideas to the table. I think that Sen. McCain, as gifted as he is, is essentially going to execute the Republican agenda, the orthodoxy of the Republican agenda with a new face and with a maverick approach to it. And he'd be quite good at it.
What, exactly, did he say there? McCain will be a Republican? Well, duh. A maverick approach? That title was given to him because he didn't support the Republican agenda, stupid. Where the hell are you pulling this out of?

I think we need a generational change. And I think Sen. Obama has captured the feelings of the young people of America and is reaching out in a more diverse, inclusive way across our society.
Diversity and inclusiveness? I don't recall the Democrats appointing an African-American to the posts of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs or Secretary of State. I never thought I'd hear that kind of political double talk coming out of Powell's mouth. I guess Kim was right.

And this business, for example, of the congressman from Minnesota who's going around saying, "Let's examine all congressmen to see who is pro-America or not pro America" -- we have got to stop this kind of nonsense, pull ourselves together and remember that our great strength is in our unity and in our diversity.
United in our differences. That makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, I know an effective team is made up of people with different skills. That's what a team is. But, those words, used in that context, are just empty platitudes regarding race and gender trotted out for the people who like to hear that stuff.

So, now I have to try and figure out why. He endorsed Dubya in the past. Is he trying to tell me that Obama's closer to Dubya than McCain is? Or that McCain is closer to Kerry than Obama is? I sure hope not, 'cause I'm not buying it.

I think Mick Wright is on to something:

Powell’s only option was to endorse the one candidate who has come to symbolize the anti-war movement, someone who wasn’t forced to consider the threat, weigh the evidence and make a responsible decision.
As good an explanation as any I can come up with.

Dammit, General, you let me down.

No comments: