Tuesday, May 6, 2008

M1 Garand Pics

Here, finally, are more pics of my M1 Garand. This first one is everything that came with the rifle, including a Certificate of Authenticity and one enbloc clip.


I've always waned to say "clip" without getting yelled at. =)

Here's a close up of the left side. Not sure what the marking is yet, but I plan on digging it up. Unless, of course, some intrepid reader can clue me in....



Here's the right side, because I like balance:



Top:



Muzzle:



I've installed an adjustable gas plug because I read standard 30.06 ammo can damage the operating rod.

Word to the wise, after installing the plug, only back it out maybe three clicks. I backed mine way out and went through damn near a box of (expensive) 30.06 before it would cycle. The upside of that was I could easily collect brass. Once it started cycling, it was ejecting brass forward onto the range. I asked if I could go out there and recover it, but no. did I mention 30.06 is expensive? The Greek ammo from CMP attracts a magnet and therefore cannot be used at the range.

All in all, this was a great purchase. It's in excellent shape, accurate and fun to shoot. This will probably be the one to get me reloading

Best 600 bucks I've ever spent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rusty -

The mark on the left side is a DOD acceptance stamp; collectors call them "cartouches".

Check out this page; your stamp is about halfway down.

Anonymous said...

err, apparently blogspot choked on that link. Here it is:

http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

Anonymous said...

That is truly a thing of beauty. May she serve you well.